Social Justice Council
The Social Justice Council (SJC) exists to inform the congregation about important social and humanitarian needs and issues and to provide avenues for constructive service and action.
Meetings: SJC meets monthly on the second Monday of the month (Sept-May) primarily to select each month’s Sharing Sundays recipient and get reports or proposals from SJC Action Teams. For more information, contact Jackie Jablonski at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SJC Action Teams are formed by a person or group of people who identify a social justice topic on which they want to focus. These teams are somewhat dynamic and are created and discontinued based on current events and issues. The following is a description of the current or recent action teams:
- Demonstrating Our Values through Eating (DOVE): Promotes eating a more plant-based diet and reducing and eliminating eating animal products. Focused on raising awareness of the health, moral and environmental concerns of factory farming. Amie Hamlin: email@example.com or 631-525-3650.
- Environmental Interests Circle: Has a mission to support one another in developing sustainable habits and to provide information and resources to learn about how to live in a more environmentally sustainable way. The Environmental Interests Circle is currently looking for a new group leader. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested.
- Health Care Reform: Working towards changing New York State and national laws to provide healthcare for all people. Currently focusing on getting Single Payer Healthcare passed in the New York State Legislature. Rebecca Elgie: email@example.com or 607-272-0621
- Peace and Veterans Affairs: Provides assistance and advocacy for veterans. Advocates for policies and laws promoting peace and keeping our country from entering into military action to resolve the world’s problems. Jim Murphy: firstname.lastname@example.org or 845-270-0439.
- Sanctuary, Migrants, & Farmworkers: Works with other congregations and organizations, primarily through Ithaca Sanctuary Alliance, to mitigate challenging situations for migrant workers and families. Jackie Jablonski email@example.com.
- Your action team here!