The Religious Education program at First Unitarian Society of Ithaca is looking for a Religious Exploration Assistant. If you would like to apply, please read the information below.
The Religious Education Assistant is a part-time (5 hrs/week), ten months, non-exempt position which entails working most Sundays and reports directly to the Director of Religious Exploration (DRE). The assistant will work with the DRE to develop and maintain a religious education program. The exact days and hours worked will be determined by mutual agreement of the RE Assistant and the DRE.
The ideal candidate will be able to work two to three hours on Sundays and two to three hours one other day of the week.
- At least two years of college or equivalent work experience (preferably in education, social work, psychology, or related fields).
- An understanding of and demonstrated a commitment to Unitarian Universalism.
- Preferably some work in public education and/or religious exploration.
- Demonstrated organizational and administrative skills and experience.
- Computer literacy in desktop and internet-based applications and technologies
General Statement of Responsibility
Assist the Director of Religious Exploration with administrative responsibilities.
- Set up and staff the RE Table on Sunday mornings
- Set up snacks on Sundays
- Keep supply rooms organized
- Assist Creative Sunday leader with behavior management.
- Help teachers create a learning environment that welcomes and nurtures.
- Supply the materials needed for each classroom as stated in the session plans or as directed by the teachers.
- Provide the teachers with a classroom notebook that includes an up to date attendance sheet and a ‘materials needed’ section. Transfer this information into office records each week.
- Serve as a substitute teacher as needed throughout the year.
The RE Assistant is encouraged to forge and maintain positive working relationships with the RE Team, Minister, church staff and lay leaders, members and visitors.
Condition of Employment
The employment of the successful job candidate is conditional upon receipt of a satisfactory background check.